Balancing Parenthood and Work
It is common for parents to feel pulled in two directions: the need to support their family and the instinctive need to care for their family. When these two ideas are causing conflict, it’s time to re-evaluate. There are things you can do to better juggle all of your responsibilities.
> Read the “Balancing Parenthood & Work” Fact Sheet in English
> Read the “Como equilibrar la crianza de los hijos y el trabajo” Fact Sheet in Spanish
1. GET ORGANIZED:
- Plan ahead when it comes to important deadlines, meetings at work, your child’s schedule, etc.
- Use your calendar to “schedule” time with your child.
- Be flexible when something has to change to avoid stress.
2. SPEND QUALITY TIME WITH YOUR CHILD:
- When you get home from work, leave work behind. Your family deserves your complete attention and you deserve time away from work.
- Relax together.
- Turn off the TV and your mobile devices and discuss your day.
3. STRENGTHEN BONDS THROUGH RITUALS:
- Routines and patterns provide security for your child and can reduce stress.
- Make child-friendly meals and sit down to eat together.
- Read with your child.
- Do something special for your child like taking an occasional day off and doing something fun.
4. INCLUDE YOURSELF IN SCHOOL LIFE:
- Help out on school field trips, volunteer in the classroom whenever possible.
- Keep in touch with your child’s teacher in person, by email, or phone.
- Send notes in your child’s lunchbox or backpack to let them know you are thinking about them.
Commit to the idea of making appropriate choices when it comes to work and children. You CAN balance parenting and work by doing little things that make a huge difference in the lives of your children.